1. Reading: Michelle Alexander —The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
2. Visiting: Lofotr Viking Museum
3. Teaching: Angharad Valdivia, “This Tween Bridge Over My Latina Girl Back: The U.S. Mainstream Negotiates Identity” (for Intro to Girls’ Studies at PSU)
4. Visiting: Kila School, Harstad; Homlia School, Homlia; Atlanten School, Kristiansund, and more.
5. Anticipating: 17th of May celebrations in Oslo
6. Reading: Karl Hagstrom Miller — Segregating Sound: Inventing Folk and Pop Music in the Age of Jim Crow
7. Listening: Sufjan Stevens, Carrie and Lowell
8. Calling: all people who write about girls and music to contribute an edited issue of the Journal of Popular Music Studies — more info here (deadline Sept. 1 2015).
10. Reading: Carol Dweck —Mindset: the New Psychology of Success, a useful book for thinking about teaching.
11. Reading: Ibn Fadlān Ibn Fadlān and the Land of Darkness: Arab Travelers in the Far North (travel writing about Vikings from 921 CE).