1. Reading: “Civil Society and Educational Publics: Possibilities and Problems” by Kathleen Knight Abowitz, in Promises to Keep: Cultural Studies, Democratic Education and Public Life, eds. Dimitriadis and Carlson.
2. Reading: “Start Something Fierce: A Young Woman’s Guide to Grassroots Organizing, 2nd Edition” published by the Girls Action Foundation, as part of their Indigenous Young Women: Speaking Our Truths, Building Our Strengths initiative. Link to download here.
3. Reading: “Troubling Heroes: Of Rosa Parks, Multicultural Education, and Critical Pedagogy” by Dennis Carlson in Promises to Keep: Cultural Studies, Democratic Education and Public Life, eds. Dimitriadis and Carlson.
4. Listening: Anthology of American Folk Music, vol. 1, Ballads, Green Singing
5. Reading: I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai with Christian Lamb.
6. Very excited about: Girls: Oregon, Action, Leadership, Service
7. Visiting schools in Ås, Kristiansund, Arendal, Meham, Nordkjosbotn and Harstad, see the map here.
8. Anticipating: a trip to the Polar Zoo.
9. Watching repeatedly: Laura Veirs’s “Froggy Went a Courting” video (King Kong Kitchie Kitchie Ki Me O.)